Thursday, August 6, 2015

PPA Intl Print Judging - Appleton Photography - M.C. Kinney Photography

Last years PPA International Print Judging garnered me 3 Merits (out of 4 images allowed for submission) with 1 going Loan, and this year I've done the same. The judging, held this week in Georgia, is a five day event where thousands of images are viewed, critiqued and judged by several international panels of Judges. The images however can't be shown to the public until after the PPA Convention, held over the winter, so I thought I'd post last years images instead.

The first image, a Merit and a Loan image was taken at Joshua Tree State Park in Arizona on the way to the West Rim of the Grand Canyon. The sky that day was actually dark and windy, with a wind storm almost preventing us from seeing anything that day. Considerable artwork was done to change the sky and highlight the trees. The top image is the original, the bottom is the final image titled Evening Oasis.
The second image, which also received a Merit was taken on the same trip but at the Muddy Mountain State Park in Nevada in the middle of the day. Typically this is not the best time to shoot landscape images, but sometimes the schedule of the day takes precedence over my photography wishes. The image is titled Layers of Time in homage to the many different layers of the rock that form the mountains.

The third image also received a Merit and is titled Meandering Calm. It's an old-World antiqued application to one of the many Tall Ships that tour the US waterways.
And the fourth and final image, The Girl's Got Flair did not Merit. But to be honest, it's still one of my favorite child portraits that I've taken recently. It's a portrait taken in a hotel of the adorable 5 year granddaughter of a friend of mine. I dropped out the background, added some flairs and a painterly look to finish it off.

So next year, sometime in February I should be able to post this years images. Sorry for the wait, but I wouldn't want to hurt my chances of getting those images any other awards that might be available!




No comments:

Post a Comment