Thursday, January 22, 2015

Brillion Basketball - M. C. Kinney Photography - Appleton Photographers

While setting up lights to photograph the 5th grade boys basketball team in Brillion last night, one of the boys approached me and told me he had a tip for me. Naturally I thought this was the line-up to a joke and asked him what the tip was. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a quarter and held it out to me. I was confused and asked "what is that?"

"It's a quarter," he said. "It's for you. A tip for you." He had the most sincere face EVER, and although I'm not in the fashion of taking money from kids, I opened my palm and told him I would greatly appreciate his tip. You see, quarters have a special meaning to me. Not the quarters you get back as change, but quarters that I find on the street. They are a reminder of my Dad who passed away two and half years ago, and I have a special pewter jar I collect them in. So I told him I would keep his quarter in my Dad's jar.

After photographing the kids as a group and their individual images, I was packing up and mentioned to the coach that one of the athletes had given me a quarter tip and how nice I thought that was and how excited I was to get a tip. She thought that was funny but then I told her that in my 20 years photographing people, only four other times had anyone ever given me a tip, and even though it was only a quarter, it was that he thought to give it. So thank you Paxton for making my entire day!

Here's the team messing around after their team pic. A bunch of triple threats!

No comments:

Post a Comment